The Second Street Youth Center Foundation, Inc. (SSYC) is a multipurpose non-profit organization seeking to bring about better community relations by providing educational, vocational, cultural and recreational activities for youth and adults in this community. Through these activities the Foundation strives to provide opportunities for self expression, the building of self-worth and an overall environment that fosters creative learning and enables people to reach their full potential. SSYC has become a recognized viable community service agency in the City of Plainfield. Each year multitudes of residents pass through this Agency as recipients of many types of services. It all began in the summer of 1967 when the building, owned by Rona Plastics, was loaned at no cost to the Plainfield Recreation Department for a summer Recreational Experimental Project. SSYC began its first program as Plainfield Day Care Center on Park Avenue in 1968. In 1977 the program was moved to the present location at 935 South 2nd Street with four classes and a swimming pool in the basement, boxing and martial arts on the top floor. In 2001, Plainfield Day Care became SSYC Preschool with Abbott classes requiring certified (P3) teachers. In 2002 a Headstart program was started with 2 classes that displaced the athletic programs. In 2003 Pre-school expanded to 12 classes and Headstart ended.
It is the intention and purpose of SSYC to promote the interest, welfare, educational and social development of all children in the Plainfield, NJ community by actively working to create an environment that will nurture and shape their growth. Our Mission is to develop children’s competency, self-esteem and self-reliance through opportunities to make choices, experiment, create, imagine and inquire. We provide programs and events to improve and strengthen the lives of the families and the community we serve.
Board of Education
SSYC Preschool is sub-contracted by the Plainfield Board of Education. A master teacher is provided by the Plainfield Board of Education to assist our education staff and to assure that quality is provided to children through education strategies and training. All teachers are certified. The program is monitored by the Plainfield Board of Education and the State Department of Family Development. The center is licensed by the State of New Jersey.
- Qualified P-3 certified teachers
- A certified teacher and a teacher assistant in each classroom
- Maximum 15 students per classroom
- Research based curriculum aligned with NJCCCS
- Intervention and support services to ensure that all children can succeed
- Health services to strengthen and facilitate the educational process by improving and protecting the health status of children
- Nutritious meals and snacks to support young children’s optimal growth and development
- Parent and family involvement practices that provide opportunities at school and at home to strengthen the teaching and learning environment